Over 100 people gathered in Olympia on Thursday Feb 21st at 11am to deliver 143,592 comments to Governor Jay Inslee opposing the fracked gas-to-methanol refinery in Kalama and the fracked gas Tacoma LNG project in Tacoma. It’s time to Power Past Fracked Gas and stop all new fracked fossil fuel infrastructure.
- State Rep Gerry Pollet spoke first. He is the primary sponsor of HB1597. Rep Sherry Appleton is a co-sponsor. This has been referred to as the methane bill. If passed, it will incorporate comprehensive measurements of greenhouse gas emissions from certain fossil fuels into state environmental laws. It is slated to more forward next year.
- Paul Wagner from Water Warriors.
- Aji Piper from The Conversation (you can see a video clip of Aji he’s a really good speaker and appealed directly to Gov Inslee.)
- Charlene DesRosier, owner of Camp Kalama RV Park and Campground talked about the negative impact to air and water quality if the the Kalama methanol plant gets built.
- Steve Storms, founder of Advocates for a Cleaner Tacoma
- Cam Keely, a college student in Kalama
- Dr. Lisa Johnson from WA Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Ari Simmons from the Sunrise Movement
Article by TDN: Protesters blast gas fracking needed for Kalama methanol plant